Friday, August 11, 2017 —
TALE OF THE GAME:
· The Toronto Argonauts opened the first game of their home-and-home set with the East Division rival Montreal Alouettes at Percival Molson Memorial Stadium on Friday night. Toronto dropped to 3-5 following a 21-9 loss to Als, suffering their first East Division loss of the season.
· The Double Blue had their most productive game on the ground of the season, amassing 173 rushing yards on the night, the team’s highest rushing total since September 17, 2016, vs. the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.
· Argos QB Jeff Mathews got his first start in Double Blue on Thursday night in the absence of Ricky Ray. Mathews went 8-12 for 67 yards before being replaced by third-year Argonaut Cody Fajardo in the second half. Fajardo finished the night 10-of-16 for 76 yards while adding nine carries for 60 yards on the ground. Quarterbacks filling in for Ray midseason have now gone 4-2 on six occasions since 2012.
· Bear Woods registered six tackles in his return to Montreal on Friday. He has now made 22 defensive tackles in the Argos last three games. The six-year CFL veteran entered Friday night ranked third in the CFL with 46 defensive tackles. In six of his last seven games, he has notched 6+ tackles and Friday’s total marks his third consecutive game. Woods, who set the Alouettes club record for tackles in a season (126), is currently averaging six tackles a game and on pace to register 114 tackles this season.
· Argos kicker Lirim Hajrullahu continued a perfect streak on Friday night connecting on 3-of-3 field goals with a long of 47 yards. Hajrullahu has hit his last eight field goal attempts since missing a field goal in the third quarter against Ottawa on July 24. The Western product is now 26-of-31 on the season and leads the CFL in both field goals attempted and made. Hajrullahu needs to convert 12 more field goals this season to surpass his East Division All-Star totals from last season.
· Argos SB SJ Green hauled in four catches for 32 yards in his first return to Montreal since being traded by the Alouettes in April.
· First-year Argonaut Dylan Wynn had another productive outing vs. the Alouettes. Wynn notched a season-high seven tackles and a sack on the night, marking his second consecutive week with a sack.
· Argos RB Brandon Whitaker had his best outing of the 2017 season on Friday night in Montreal. The 10-year veteran had 13 carries for 96 yards on the night and slid into 39th all-time in rushing.
Manager, Communications & Player Relations