TALE OF THE GAME:
- The Toronto Argonauts traveled to the Nation’s capital on Saturday night for their first road game of the season. Toronto improved their record to 2-1 with a 26-25 win over Ottawa REDBLACKS at TD Place. The win keeps the Boatmen atop the East Division after three weeks and improved the club’s record to 2-0 vs. division opponents.
- The Argonauts bend but don’t break defense flourished on Saturday night at TD Place. Toronto recorded five sacks for the second time in three weeks while forcing three turnovers (1 INT, 1FF, 1 Downs). Additionally, the defence held Ottawa to just 57 yards on the ground on 17 attempts, an average of 3.4 yards.
- Argos head coach Marc Trestman was rewarded with his 61st career win to push his record to 61-31. Trestman needs just one win to slide into the Top 20 all-time for wins as a coach.
- QB Ricky Ray recorded his 81st career 300-yard game with 366 yards and two touchdowns on 27-of-41 passing. Ray has now thrown for 300+ yards in each of the Argos first three games (506, 327, 366). The 15-year veteran joined an elite group of CFL quarterbacks when he hit DeVier Posey on a 10-yard strike for his 300th career passing touchdown. Ray is the sixth quarterback in CFL history to throw for 300 touchdowns.
- For the third consecutive week, first-year Argo Victor Butler found his way to the quarterback notching three sacks on the night while adding a team-high eight tackles. Butler has registered 12 tackles, seven sacks and two forced fumbles in his first three career games.
- SJ Green had a career night with 210 receiving yards and his first touchdown as an Argonaut on 10 catches. Green, who has been one of Ray’s many reliable targets, caught his first TD in Double Blue on a 55-yard pass from Ray. Green has now eclipsed the 100-yard mark twice since joninig the club and 19 times in his 11-year career.
- DeVier Posey was on the receiving end of history on Saturday, hauling in Ray’s 300th career touchdown. Posey, who entered the week at the top of the CFL’s receiving yards list, had seven catches for 62 yards on the night.
- Bear Woods had another productive night for the Double Blue. The sure-handed tackler had seven on the night, and now has a total of 15 in the last two games.
- DB Rico Murray scored his first career defensive touchdown on Saturday night at TD Place. Murray recorded his first major pouncing on a ball that was fumbled by REDBLACKS QB Trevor Harris.
- Jermaine Gabriel nabbed his second career interception in the game, setting up Ray’s 300th career touchdown toss. Gabriel’s interception was the second of his career and his first since the 2014 season.