TALE OF THE GAME:
- The Toronto Argonauts opened their 2017 season with a 32-15 victory over the rival Hamilton Tiger-Cats on Sunday at BMO Field to cap off Week 1 of CFL action.
- The Argonauts’ defence held their ground allowing just 221 net yards and holding Hamilton to just 16 rushing yards (2.3 ypc) on the night. Toronto did not give up a single defensive touchdown on Sunday afternoon.
- K Lirim Hajrullahu recorded the Argos first points of the 2017 season on a 12-yard field goal in the first quarter. Hajrullahu’s first quarter field goal marked his 100th career field goal made.
- Toronto’s offence came out the gate firing behind veteran QB Ricky Ray. Toronto posted a total of 516 yards of offence on the night, marking the first time the club has done so since July 5, 2014, vs. Saskatchewan (568).
- Argonauts quarterback Ricky Ray was firing on all cylinders on Sunday afternoon vs. Hamilton. The 15-year CFL veteran posted a career-high 506 yards (2nd 500-yard game & 12th 400+ yard game of career) and one touchdown on 32-of-41 passing (78.0%). Ray is now the fourth quarterback in CFL history to throw for 55,000 career yards. Ray needs three touchdowns to become the sixth QB in CFL history to throw for 300 career touchdowns.
- The Argos win over Hamilton gave newly hired head coach Marc Trestman his first with the club and his 60th career win as a CFL head coach.
- Offensively, Toronto distributed the ball to eight different pass catchers. Of the eight pass catchers, three eclipsed the 100-yard mark – DeVier Posey (7-147-1), SJ Green (7-124), and Jeff Fuller (3-104). This marked the first time since September 10, 2014, (John Chiles & Chad Owens) that two Argos receivers have recorded 100 yards in a game.
- Second-year Argonaut DeVier Posey had a career day, setting highs in receptions (7) and yards (147) while recording his first career touchdown and 100-yard receiving game
- WR Jeff Fuller recorded his first 100-yard receiving game since his nine catch, 148-yard performance against Hamilton on June 26, 2014.
- SJ Green, who returned from a significant knee injury in 2016 and made his Argos debut on Sunday, slid into the Top 60 receivers All-Time on a 26-yard pass from Ricky Ray in the first quarter. Additionally, the 11-year veteran notched his 18th career 100-yard receiving game.
- LB Marcus Ball led the Argonauts defence with seven tackles (6 DT, 1 ST), and a quarterback pressure in his return to the CFL.
- RB/SB Anthony Coombs hauled in four passes for 21 yards to put him over 1,000 career receiving yards.
- DE Victor Butler had a knack for getting after the QB on Sunday as he had two sacks, three quarterback pressures, one forced fumble and a tackle in his CFL debut.
- DB Johnny Sears Jr. notched five tackles and a quarterback sack in his first meeting vs. his former team.
- LB Bear Woods, who officially made his Argonauts debut on Sunday after signing with the team on June 7, registered three defensive tackles.
- 2017 CFL Draft pick Robert Woodson got his first official taste of CFL action Sunday in relief of injured Josh Mitchell. The Calgary product posted four defensive tackles in his debut.
- DB Cassius Vaughn recorded his first career interception on former teammate Zach Collaros’ pass intended for Ticats receiver Luke Tasker.